Baruipur, near Phultala
South 24 Parganas – 743387
The ‘National Innovation and Start-up Policy 2019 for students and faculty in HEIs was launched by Former Minister of Education, Shri Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’ on 11th September 2019 at AICTE, New Delhi.
This policy intends to guide HEIs for promoting students’ driven innovations & start-ups and to engage the students and faculty in innovation and start up activities in campus. The policy aims at enabling HEIs to build, streamline and strengthen the innovation and entrepreneurial ecosystem in campus and will be instrumental in leveraging the potential of student’s creative problem solving and entrepreneurial mind-set, and promoting a strong intra and interinstitutional partnerships with ecosystem enablers and different stakeholders at regional, national and international level. The policy is being implemented by MoE’s Innovation Cell and in coordination AICTE, UGC, state/ UT governments and universities. Implementation of policy has been undertaken for quick adoption by HEIs. The present policy is a way forward to the earlier version of AICTE’s Start-up Policy which was launched in the year 2016 to complement the Startup Action Plan under the Startup India and Stand-up India Program launched by Hon’ble Prime Minster of India.
Greater Kolkata College of Engineering and Management (GKCEM) is committed to promote innovation, Industrial Spirit and Entrepreneurship among their Students and Faculties and External Participants by establishing and promoting start-ups and thereby reducing dependency on the job market, consequently making us Self-Dependent (Atmanirbhar). This innovation and start-up will be the core center for our future education system.
GKCEM commits itself to technological excellence. Vision of GKCEM will be attained by a multi-pronged approach. The Mission of GKCEM is:
To develop an ecosystem with required infrastructure that can enable students and faculty to innovate and prototype their potential ideas with industrial standards and support from Government, industry and reputed academic institutions around the world and help them to realize their potential .
Short term Objectives
1. To help and to guide student groups to prototype their ideas.
2. To encourage innovation, creative and design thinking among the student community.
3. To set up an Incubation facility for faculty driven start-up and student/Alumni start-up.
4. To organize FDP, seminars and workshops, distinguish talks for Students, Faculties and promote entrepreneurial culture.
5. To strengthen institute industry interaction cell activity and effectively use the outcomes for achieving the mission.
Long Term Objectives
1. To associate with DST, CII, MSME and other academic institutions for transferring world class facilities for GKCEM IIC and EC activities.
2. To improve the quality of research work among students and faculties to attain patents which can be commercially used in production.
3. To provide a platform for students and faculties to develop innovative products with global recognition and generate business opportunities.
4. To generate revenues through consultancy work and student and faculty start-ups.
5. To spread awareness among students and faculties regarding IPR related activities.
6. To make strategic partnership linkage with
(a) Entrepreneurship Development Institute of India (EDII), Ahmedabad
(b) National Innovation Foundation (NIF) of India to submit ideas and apply for schemes
(c) Procure fund from AICTE for IIC and Entrepreneurship Cell